These legs were made for running. Who knew?!

Monday 26 September 2011

I found my thrill, on Heartbreak Hill...



What does Heartbreak Hill have to do with finding my thrill you may ask?

Well around mid this year I was starting to feel my running mojo slip a little.  I had completed a half-marathon and decided to sign up for another half-marathon in September whilst I debated whether I should eventually run a full marathon.  And as part of my interim training plan, I signed up for the August City 2 Surf, a 14K run from the Sydney CBD to Bondi.  In preparation for the the race, my training was pretty unfocussed.  After all, I reasoned, if I could run a half-marathon a 14K race would be a "no trainer".

But I was wrong.  The word that comes to mind when I think of my City 2 Surf experience is "up".  Up, up, up, up and more up (and at one point, I almost threw up).  Most of that race was a big hill and the biggest hill of all was named Heartbreak.  By the time I reached the top of it, I thought my heart would break.  And when I reached the 12K/13K mark, I was never so overjoyed to see the downhill leg of a course.

Actually maybe I should have called this blog "I found my thrill at the bottom of Heartbreak Hill" - but I digress.

Unfortunately, in short, that race kicked my butt!  But fortunately, I am often at my best when I am recovering from a nudge in my derriere.  So it was with renewed humbleness and determination that I tackled my half-marathon training program.

A final thought for the ladies (and for a few of my male friends - you know who you are!).  Who says you need a man to get your thrills.  Just go find an enormous ....... hill.  And after you run that hill, you can eat some Ben and Jerry's Chunky Monkey and maybe even a little whipped cream, guilt free.  Mwahhh!

1 comment:

  1. Do you want to extend out your food outlet reach to remote foodies? Convert your offline food business into online by developing an app from Best Food Delivery App Development Company in India and serve the taste of your food to the customer plate. Get in touch with us.

    ReplyDelete